Chaos at Rapid. Please, let’s not go back to 2015-16.
I have been in Romania a fraction over four years. In that time I have had the (often dubious) pleasure of watching my adopted team, Rapid Bucharest, compete in the first, second, fifth and fourth divisions, in that order. (This encompasses three different entities, trading under three slightly different names, but no need to over-complicate at this stage, eh?)
Yesterday I completed the set, with my (and their) first Liga 3 game. Since Rapid’s last appearance in European competition, an aggregate defeat to Heerenveen six years ago*, the club has:
- been relegated to Liga 2 twice – once for failings on the pitch and once for off;
- spent almost four years insolvent;
- won promotion to Liga 1 twice;
- been wound up;
- been restarted in the county leagues as (to date) four separate entities;
- and won promotion from both the fifth and fourth divisions.
The life of today’s Rapid fan has not been easy, but neither has it been boring. Continue reading